Vegetable and White Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 cups mixed chopped vegetables (try cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, green beans)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried oregano)
- 2 teaspoons fresh italian parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cannelini beans (approximately one 16 oz can drained and rinsed)
Heat oil in a large soup or stock pot. Add onion, carrots and celery. Heat, stirring, for 3-4 minutes, until onions are soft. Add the rest of the vegetables and heat for just another minute or two.
Add salt, thyme, oregano, and parsley stirring to coat the vegetables well.
Add bay leaf, vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
Add beans and tomatoes, stir, and allow soup to simmer until all the vegetables are cooked, about 15 minutes. Add water if needed to reach desired consistency.
Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Use kidney beans, garbanzo beans or pinto beans in place of cannelini beans
- Add cooked chicken or cooked brown rice instead of beans