Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 3 oz mozzarella or parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 large bell peppers (red, green, yellow, or orange)
Preheat oven to 375.
Heat oil in large deep pan over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, tomatoes, and onion and saute for 5 - 7 minutes until soft. Add garlic, thyme and parsley and heat for 1 minute. Add quinoa, salt, pepper, and stir to combine. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low for 12 - 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fully cooked. Turn off the stove and mix in the cheese.
Cut the tops off the peppers and hollow out the insides. Stuff the peppers full of the quinoa mixture and place standing up in a square glass baking dish or a round pie dish. Cook for 20 minutes or until the peppers begin to soften.
Serve warm and save extras for lunch the next day!
- Add black beans, cooked chicken, or garbanzo beans to the quinoa mixture before stuffing the peppers