Fall Quinoa Salad
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 medium red onion, chopped
- 8 packed cups baby greens, such as arugula or kale (about 6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup olive oil for the dressing + 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 lemon
- Shaved Parmesan Cheese (about 1/4 cup, to taste)
- salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 375°.
On a baking sheet, toss the sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 35 minutes, stirring halfway through, until golden and softened. Let cool.
In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the quinoa and toast over moderate heat, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add 3 cups of water, season with salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer the quinoa for 12 - 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Refrigerate the quinoa until chilled (about 20 minutes).
Place the diced apples in a bowl and cover with the juice of one lemon, mix well. (This keeps the apples from turning brown and adds flavor).
In a large bowl, whisk 1/2 cup olive oil, apple cider vinegar, shallot, honey, and dijon mustard until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
Once the quinoa and sweet potatoes have cooled, combine quinoa, sweet potatoes, apples, parsley, onion, parmesan cheese and greens. Drizzle on the dressing adding a little at a time until desired taste. Add salt and pepper as needed.
Notes: If you use kale, the salad can be mixed and dressed ahead and will keep in the refrigerator for 2 - 3 days. If you use arugula, add it and toss before serving as arugula wilts quickly once dressed.