Yield: 12 Muffins
- 1½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), softened (but not melted)
- ½ cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup carrot shreds (I use a cheese grater)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper, foil, or silicone liners, and set aside.
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
In a large bowl fitted with an electric whisk (or beaters), mix the butter, honey, egg and vanilla together on medium speed. Turn the speed down and slowly add in the flour mixture until well combined. The batter will be fairly thick at this point.
Using a spatula, carefully fold in the applesauce, walnuts (if you're using them), and carrots. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake for 22 to 24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and muffins are beginning to turn golden brown on top.
Recipe courtesy of 100 Days of Real Food