Weeknight Bolognese (Gluten-free and Dairy-free)
Serves 4 - 5
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (plus more for the pasta)
- 1 slice of thick cut bacon, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound lean organic ground beef
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1¼ cups dry red wine, divided
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ pound dried gluten-free spaghetti or other pasta
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves, lightly packed
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped bacon and cook 5 - 7 minutes until the bacon is cooked and lightly browned. Add the onions, carrots and celery. Cook for another 5 - 10 minutes until the vegetables soften. Add the ground beef and cook, crumbling the meat with a wooden spoon, for 5 to 7 minutes, until the meat has lost its pink color and has started to brown. Stir in the garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 more minute. Pour 1 cup of the wine into the skillet and stir to scrape up any browned bits. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1½ teaspoons pepper, stirring until combined. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil, add a tablespoon of salt, a splash of oil, and the gluten-free pasta, and cook according to the directions on the box.
While the pasta cooks, finish the sauce. Add the nutmeg, basil, and the remaining ¼ cup wine to the sauce and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened. When the pasta is cooked, drain and pour into a large serving bowl. Add the sauce and ½ cup Parmesan and toss well. Serve hot with Parmesan on the side.