- 16 oz dried black beans
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut in half
- 2 sticks of celery, cut in half
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
Rinse and soak beans using one of the methods below:
- Overnight - rinse beans and place in a large bowl, cover with cold water and let soak overnight.
- Quick Soak - rinse beans and place in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Let the beans boil for two minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for one hour.
Drain and rinse the beans. Place in a large pot and add enough water to cover the beans by about 2 inches. Add carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaf, and olive oil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and let cook for 60 - 90 minutes until beans are tender. Drain and remove vegetables and garlic. Add salt to taste.